Sunday 16 September 2012


STUDIOMUSIC.FM ON LOUD!

I was recently interviewed about Studio Music on Kenzo's Kenzine blog by Dal Choda. 

You can read it HERE or below:


Studio Music provides an insight into the creative process of visual practitioners, through the music that they listen to whilst working. It was started by illustrator Rose Blake in collaboration with friend Joe Pochodzaj in March 2011. “I started it as I work in a shared studio, and began to wonder what music other people listen to in their studios. It's interesting as it gives a real insight into someone's process of making work and because it's not a definitive 'top 10' people aren't too precious with it!” she smiles.

Two new artist playlist's are added to the site at the beginning of each week. We asked Rose about noise.

What can you hear right now?
‘Shattered’ by The Rolling Stones on the studio speakers. Someone talking on the phone and someone sanding some wood.

What was the last song you listened to?
Nick Lowe - I Love The Sound Of Breaking Glass

What's the best sound in the world?
For me? Music. Maybe something like Strawberry Fields or This Must Be The Place.

Is music just noise?
No. Music is much better than just noise, but it is ‘a’ noise.

How can we define what is good taste when it comes to music?
That’s a really hard one. Probably just by listening to music that you actually like and not music that people tell you to like.

What noise represents your work as an illustrator?
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town. Squelching.

What noises can be heard in your studio?
The man across the road sanding outside his studio. Music. People talking. Sometimes wood being cut. Tapping on keyboards. The train going past every 5 minutes (our studio is in a railway arch).

What time of the day is noisiest for you?
Evening/Night. I live in the noisiest flat just off Dalston Junction in East London. There is a pub with people shouting outside down the road, we have really noisy neighbours that play music till 5am, the doors in our flat bang really noisily and there are sirens all through the night. Then building work begins at about 6!

Which noises send you back to a place from your past?
Any music by Sam Cooke or The Everly Brothers. The song Goodnight Tonight by Paul McCartney and Wings is the first memory of music I have. The bass line reminds me of my mum dancing round the house with me in her arms... I made her play it on repeat.

Describe your noisiest piece of clothing.
I tend to dress quite ‘quietly’ but my noisiest piece of clothing is probably a short-sleeved turquoise and red patterned silk shirt. I do have my eye on some of the Kenzo Vans too!

No comments:

Post a Comment